As with most joint conditions, shoulder problems can be traced back to misuse, overuse, disuse or abuse.
Age plays a factor. As we age the soft tissue surrounding the shoulder undergoes structural changes, which can lead to weakening of the ligaments, tendons, and muscles.
SOME COMMON SHOULDER INJURIES:
- Pinching sensation when raising the arm
- Pain when sleeping on one side
- Pain on movement
- Pain in all directions
- A marked reduction in your range of motion
- Pain in the upper shoulder
- Pain on sleeping on the shoulder
- Pain on lifting the arm away or overhead
- Pain may travel down the arm
*Repeated motion involving the arms will wear down the surrounding structures
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS):
- Not very common
- Numbness or tingling down the arm
- Pain, swelling and coldness of the arm
*Causes: occupations that involve a lot of heavy lifting (eg. Carpenters, construction) or static positions for an extended period of time (eg. hair stylists, mechanics)
If you feel there is prolonged discomfort and/or pain in the shoulder speak with your healthcare professional. Early intervention and preventative maintenance is the key to maintaining optimal shoulder health.